For some it may be words like loving or gracious. For others it might be judge or distant.
Our perceptions of God are created by many different influences and experiences.
For example, we may base those perceptions on our relationship with our earthly fathers or on our circumstances.
Both are inaccurate perceptions of God the Father. The truth about Him is found in His Word.
Here are five truths about our Heavenly Father’s character.
1. God is love. — This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. ~1 John 4:8-10
God initiated a relationship with us because He loves us and demonstrated that love by sending His Son to pay for our sin that we could be reconciled back to Him.
He love us without regard to our performance. His love is perfect, unfailing and limitless.
2. God is all powerful. — Yours, LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the majesty and the splendor, for everything in heaven and earth is yours. In your hands are strength and power to exalt and give strength to all. ~1 Chronicles 29:11-12
Because of His power, He is able to promise that through His power, we can do all He calls us to do (Philippians 4:13).
3. God is faithful. — Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. ~Lamentations 3:21-23
God will never betray us or forsake us (Hebrews13:5) As the classic hymn says, “Great is thy faithfulness. Thou changest not, thy compassions they fail not. As thou hast been thou forever will be.”
4. God is good. — You, Lord, are forgiving and good, abounding in love to all who call to you. ~Psalm 86:5
God is the source of every good thing we have. James 1:17 says, “Every good and perfect gift comes from the Father above.”
5. God is present with us at all times. — The LORD replied, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest. ~Exodus 33:14
He knows and cares about whatever we face or experience. His presence can bring strength, wisdom, guidance peace and comfort as we turn to Him.
Which of these attributes do you need to rely on today?
Learning to trust in His character...